From all of us at Xdesk, we would like to wish you a happy and healthy Saint Patrick’s Day! To keep this “thirsty” holiday as healthy and good-for-you as possible, here are some tips, recipes, and fun activities to enjoy on this day when everyone has the luck of the Irish.
1. Green drinks that aren’t beer: I know this one might sound cruel, but if you are looking for a delicious green smoothie, we’ve got you covered. Thanks to Today, you can sample a “Kiss me, I’m Irish” Kale Smoothie. The recipe isn’t too complicated and with kale, almond milk, banana, mango, pineapple and ginger, you’re taste buds are sure to be doing a healthy jig.
2. Run with the leprechauns: Holidays are always a fun time to join other health-minded people and enjoy a race. Check out Running in the USA for a list of all of the Saint Patrick’s Day themed races across the country. From the Chase a Leprechaun 5K to the Shamrock Shake Up Indoor Triathlon, there are so many different races (and styles of races to choose from). Keep this website in mind, or keep your ear to the ground for local events in the future, that can have you working out on all of your favorite holidays.
3. Go to a festival: Enjoying an outdoor festival is a great way to get some movement, excitement, and even some great food. For example, if you are local to Xdesk (Austin area) you could attend the family-friendly St. Patrick’s Day festival. With plenty to do and see, you are sure to be burning off plenty of calories just from walking around.
4. It is easy eating green: Start your day off right with some Matcha Green Tea Coconut Pancakes or Green Pancakes made with greek yogurt, cottage cheese and swiss chard. Both of these recipes are listed at the Greatist with many other delicious and nutritious-looking snacks and meals. Check them all out for a meal that may be healthier than a loaded stew or a heaping helping of Shepherd’s Pie.
5. Enjoy the Irish dancing: Whether you are going to a festival that has dancing or you are partying at home, dancing is a fun and easy way to burn off calories and get a workout without realizing it. At festivals, you could run into clogging or Irish step dancing. And at home, a quick YouTube search will have you tapping along with the best of them. Also, if you are working today, having a standing desk like Xdesk could keep you jigging while you type. Just press a button and your height adjustable desk could lift up giving you plenty of room to type and dance on your tip-toes.
If you can think of more healthy, fun Saint Patrick’s Day celebrations, leave a comment below. And remember, everyone is Irish today!