Numerous studies and anecdotal evidence has shown that standing desks can help you avoid midday lethargy. However, if standing up isn’t enough to get you through a mid-afternoon lull there are a few dietary alternatives you could try before making a beeline to the coffee or soda machine. Ideally, you’d sub in these foods for overly sweet, fatty, salty or processed foods, which can exacerbate an afternoon crash.
5 Best Foods for Fighting a Midday Crash
- Nuts – Nuts are an ideal snack, high in both protein and healthy fats. A handful of nuts can help alleviate hunger and bolster energy. Plus, they digest slowly, so you’ll have energy to spare as you finish out the day.
- Avocado – Avocados are high in monounsaturated healthy fats, which fill you up without compromising your weight loss goals. And they can serve as a creamy replacement for many less healthy options.
- Fruits – Most fruits will give you a quick boost of energy due to their natural sugar. They’re packed with vitamins, minerals and fiber. And their natural sweetness will satisfy most sweet tooth’s cravings.
- Oatmeal – Oatmeal is typically eaten around breakfast time, but it also works as a midday snack. With B vitamins and fiber, oatmeal keeps you full and gives you lasting energy. And if you’re lucky, it’s not uncommon for offices to keep a free supply on hand.
- Eggs – Another breakfast staple, eggs are high in protein and unsaturated and saturated fats to keep you full and energized. A couple of hard-boiled eggs will vanquish midday hunger and help you make it to the end of the day.